Friday, December 6, 2019

San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon Weekend- Day One: Part-Let The Shenanigans Begin


Let me just say I miss my traveling companion (Katie. . .and the friends we made Anthia and Bridget). . .and so the adventure begins! A 4:00am alarm was the start of the last chance to squeeze in some work. The plan was getting at least one airport ride, a few other side rides and make a couple hundred dollars to pad the trip. A few rides in all was going well and I got an airport trip, but something felt off with the car. I couldn’t tell immediately what was wrong. A kind stranger rolled down their window and said they noticed my right rear tire was looking a little flat. I told my rider that I’d need to pull over and check the tire, if it was indeed running flat, they wouldn’t need to pay for the distance I’d driven them, and another driver would pick them up. Sure, enough it was flat. I had pulled over at Jiffy Lube where they happened to be coming into the shop at that time. The guys were kind enough to swap out my spare tire for me for free and observed there was a screw in the tire. A quick trip to Big O Tires where they fixed it for free just in time for me to go home pack and head out the door. The budget is a little tighter than preferred and we will just have to make do with that.
                An easy trip to the airport was followed by my first solo experience of going through airport security with the racer. I made the decision that it would be easiest if I could carry everything and sit in my racer. Somehow all fit in the bags and balanced well enough that I got through security easily. I even ran into fellow Kohawk, Palmer!!! The only hard part about traveling in the racer instead of another chair is it doesn’t fit super easily in all elevators, something Katie and I learned going to Vegas. Again we’re making do and its working out. A very anxious me settled into my gate where I am writing about the beginning of this adventure. The flight of course is delayed which means I will have to pick up my bib for the 10k tomorrow morning (an even earlier morning unfortunately). I will get into San Antonio around 7pm tonight. Hopefully getting my first ever rental car goes smoothly and getting to the AirBnb goes smoothly.
I forgot what it feels like to be super anxious until this trip, haha oh the irony
that I can’t even begin to explain here. So for those of you that watch my facebook, blog or whatever and think I’m superbly confident and fearless, I am absolutely not. Half the time I am using some therapy technique to accomplish my dreams, which are definitely big ones.
 I am getting ready to finish my lovely lunch after meeting a really nice human at the airport who not only helped me grab my lunch (lines with the racer aren’t exactly easy) but treated me to it as well (all to kind!). We exchanged Facebook info and quickly expressed how we both made each other’s days! Natasha will be coming out to races this summer to see me and whenever I’m at the airport I’ll get to say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment