Sunday, December 8, 2019

San Antonio End of Day 2 and Oh My Pie The Half is Here on Day 3:


          The start of Day 2 came very early (so early I can’t even remember, I just know it was before 5am). I had to pick up my bib day of due to the delayed flight the night before, but glad I could at least race. The original plan was I would get to meet up with Lauren, a friend of a friend through November project and Team Hoyt.

Which we did! We got a picture through barricades 10 minutes before the start. The true best surprise was seeing the Angels team!!! Stephanie walked up to me in the start corrals and said “You were in vegas, right?” It was instant laughter and friendship with another team from there. We got a picture with Des Linden too! For those who aren’t in the running world she won the Boston in 2018 and is a 2 time Olympian. The start of the race as always was phenomenal, those 3-5 minutes on the course where we lead the pack and are the only ones is pretty special.

                The course overall felt pretty easy, though there were some significant hills for sure. After the race I connected with Angels Team and we made our plans for dinner. A not so quick visit to the expo and I walked out with another hat (I guess this is going to be my think with my races?). Exhausted I went back to my Airbnb and slept. I really needed more sleep but only got a couple hours. After a nap I headed to old navy. I am breaking the cardinal rule and wearing leggings I’ve never worn before (yikes!) but that’s better than being super cold and guaranteed breaking out with hives. Anyways after that I went downtown and hung out on the river walk and did walk around their mall. I know where I’m going today (mararitaville, baby). I mean I don’t know but it sure sounds like a great motivator for after the half marathon this morning. My dad says I’m weak for drinking alcohol since he has been on a no alcohol kick since his time with cancer this year. I pointed out how he regularly tells me he doesn’t know how I have overcome what I have and that he couldn’t, so I deserve a marg.
                Speaking of this year. Wow. It was 11 months ago that my year started on some of the toughest times literally starting with new years day. Sometimes I get asked why I roll. I race and roll because the time I’m in the racer its about bettering myself and it gives me a reason to get out as much as possible with some of the greatest people I have ever met. After losing almost every sport I’ve ever gotten to be good at, I found something new to push myself in. I like the way a friend said it recently “You’re intrinsically athletic, and there is an awareness you have about your body to do things that don’t seem possible for you (to others).” I race because I love that runners high and it gives me a challenge (I don’t have enough. . .obviously). Seriously though, racing gives me a chance to choose my challenge. I love the feeling of being ¾ of the way through and my body goes into endurance mode, or whatever you want to call it. The past 5 months of races are directly correlated to my ability to hit remission again so I’ll take today. I’m going to try not to take a moment for granted today and be gentle with myself. The last picture is of this morning because having the shit I have means waking up early to pre-treat. No lung function drops today is the goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment