Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Plate of Cookies

        Though not every goal I have made I have accomplished I have certainly learned a lot of life lessons by giving myself direction through these goals. I have also accomplished a lot of goals that at the beginning I would not have told you I knew it would happen but I had to believe it would happen and make others believe it would happen and it did. That’s exactly what many members of the World Health Organization (WHO), had to do with the AIDS/HIV epidemic.
Have you seen the 40cent ad? If not take a second to watch this:

     
In 1988, the cost of treatment for an HIV positive patient was around $12,000 a year. Today the cost is around $140 a year, or 35-40 cents a day. Individuals had to fight for this change just as they have for any change in the epidemic. Goals were made that seemed ridiculous to so many world leaders or those in positions of power. These ridiculous goals are why we have had progress; however, there is still an incredible amount of work to be done. As described by Dr. Jim Yong Kim—one of the names in the fight against AIDS/HIV—when you study AIDS your studying history and how social inequality and poverty drives epidemics. The AIDS epidemic is not just one disease apart of our history and current issues, it is a symbol of the social issue, and it is a symbol of what can be and what has been. 
When I think about the goals that I have made, more recently, I have had some very ambitious goals. At the start of my personal project in 10th grade, I made a goal of fundraising $1,000 for Northern Colorado AIDS Project through my tennis tournament and dinner. I never would have really thought I would have gotten the support from local businesses that I received in discounts, in kind donations, and donations. My original thought is the tournament would be huge and successful, and that would be how I would raise the $1,000. I must admit that was not how, I had 10 friends  who played in round robin format, but it was successful in that I had support to make my goal happen. I also had community members, family, and friends who attended the dinner and silent auction, my other support for making it happen. In the end we raised over $1,600. I initiated this goal on my own which makes it impressive, but accomplished with lots of support.
In the past week or at least since I posted last, I have outlined my “goal” for doing the 7 day ride to end AIDS, though now that I think of it, the title initiative.  I like the “SMART” model except for the realistic part because I think that gives you an excuse to be easy on yourself which can be good too. For me realistic is necessary but I think of it as also knowing my limits which is more applicable to once I’m trying for my goal and adjusting it. So my goal is to do the 7 day ride to end AIDS this June. My goals that lead up to that are to complete the whole 30 (which I have started), do the century ride on February 8th, and continue to train for the ride.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to have support, but I don’t expect everyone to support me. In fact some of my motivation comes from people who have doubt. I love to prove people wrong, and I am quite good at it. I am most definitely resilient. This past week I started training for my century ride, which is a little late considering but I’m on schedule thus far. My total mileage was 60miles and my longest ride was 25 miles. When it comes to support I certainly have a phenomenal group of people surrounding me everywhere. My friend Tess drove the route while I rode the route on my 25 mile ride, as I have been pretty sick recently and needed to have a backup plan. (Picture below is from the 25 mile ride, we stopped at MCR for a quick bathroom break before I continued to pedal home)

In terms of support I also have checked in with my physical therapist, knowing that if I do flair things up I need to back off or recognize I made the choice and have to deal with the consequences. My PT did laugh though when it finally came out I wanted to train for a century ride in 8 weeks. Apparently I have a pattern of going a little gun-ho, but ehh it works sometimes. 

Oh the whole30. I am officially on day 8, though unofficially I kind of started two days before just testing out things, but I had yet to go grocery shopping. I have been reading a lot of the forums and blogs in relation to the whole30 and for the most part I have only read anything that is from people who have control of what is brought into their house. Now I do have that control right now, but I have no control over eliminating things from my environment. While the family supports the endeavor they don’t go anywhere out of their way to make it easier.  Example A: The Cookie Platter that showed up to on night two, my parents dug in right in front of me.
Example B: I baked a plate of cookies for my mothers class because she ran out of time. I did not eat a single cookie or lick a single finger.
            The Whole30 has certainly been hard but I think I’m over the physical hump for the most part. My body doesn’t crave the sugars so much as it is more mental now. As long as I remind myself of its my choice or ask myself why I want the food, I think I’ll be okay. Either way I made it a week without sugar and a bunch of stuff that isn’t so great, and I have stopped eating before 8pm every night! I have cooked some pretty awesome things in the past week including spaghetti squash, and a delicious homemade spaghetti sauce. I have learned to read labels pretty well too, and most importantly I have planned! While my family has made it a little hard, once again Tess has got my back. Tess is doing the whole30 too, and has completed it before, and my parents have thrown a few compliments in on the changes I’ve made which is always a good way to show support.

For the next week my goal is to keep up with the whole30, keep peddling (longest ride 30-35miles), start integrating strengthening exercises and keep finding motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment