Friday, March 30, 2018

I may have gotten a few lemons but it came with a bag of sugar.


              I have hesitated to share the last month or so of exciting news with extended family and Facebook but can no longer hold out. For the deck of cards I’ve been dealt, it feels like its all magically working out. Less than six months ago I was intent on returning to Iowa, but unfortunately due to my new status as a transfer student lost all my scholarships.

I simultaneously was going through the motions to be a CSU student, and as you all know wound up at CSU. I have absolutely loved my time at CSU and look forward to the coming years as a Ram. Diane Burton (an honors admin) gave me individualized advising before I even met with my advisor. Pending an end of the semester gpa above a 3.5 I will be applying for the Microbiology Honors program at CSU with full support from the honors administration and my current professors. I am excited to share this fall my tuition cost will be completely covered by grants and scholarships as well.

As of a week before spring break I accepted the position to be an RA this fall starting in August (most likely under an incredible Resident Director). When I went through what is called our ExCELS course, I had accidently forgotten my trach cap for the day so I started my introduction with “Hi I’m Jules, I have a trach and normally its capped but I forgot it. . .so you’re going to see me put my finger on my neck a lot. I have health stuff, I’m super open about it and happy to answer questions.” A few minutes later my RD running the session shared that she too has health stuff and how that would impact our day. We had a conversation about what it might look like for me to be an RA and we’re both confident I will be successful.

Don’t worry I’m still nervous as all get out about how this is all going to work out too. I have also accepted a position as an EMT to volunteer a few weekends working with seriously ill kids, and two weeks of volunteering as an add on this summer of fulltime fun.

How is my health you might ask? I haven’t been epi free, but I have been hospitalization free for 31 days. I am back on my full dose of Xolair and expect complete remission from my mast cell mediated issues over the coming months. I have gotten official word that I will start Strensiq (the enzyme replacement therapy for my bones that relatives have known about for awhile) on May 11th in the Immunologist’s office. We will know within a year how that is going and if it is making the difference we hope to see. In the mean time my biology tutor loves using my medical history as fun facts to get her middle schoolers to pay attention. I love that she is spreading awareness with a very attentive generation.

Finally tomorrow I take my national registry exam to hopefully recertify for the 3rd time. If I don’t pass tomorrows exam I will have a month to accumulate my CE hours, and I will still have time after that grace period wise to recertify nationally. Here is to hoping one more thing goes my way.

Life has ups and downs and I’ve been incredibly blessed by my professors, departments, friends and family to make my dreams of continuing my education at CSU a reality.

PS I am incredibly thankful for the friends, professors, TAs, family etc that have made this possible whether it be getting me to the hospital when I’ve broken a bone, bringing benedryl to me so I don’t have to leave tutoring, helping me deal with harder moments or our frequent karaoke nights to destress. Your support has made it possible for me to get this far. 6 weeks left of the semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment